Sunday, June 30, 2024

Reflections

Social media is strange. It creates an illusion of oneself that only shows part of who a person is. And many are too concerned with show boating and glossing over all of the ugly bits to paint a prettier picture of who they are and how they live.

We are all flawed.

Bits and pieces of our history are littered across our flesh and minds. Jagged edges that are too easily glossed over with a filter provided by AI programs.

A fantasy world we accept without question.

The many flock to mimic patterns from a few who “made it” in the eyes in the kingdom of the apps.

Influencers.

Yet who are they influencing? And who influenced whom?

Ponies marched to the roadside carnival show. All standing with their hands out hoping for a few pennies to be tossed their way.

Am I any different as I pander my goods, showcasing my wares like any snake oil salesman that comes into town.

Be authentic, they say. Talk about your hobbies and your passions. Engagement is key.

My hobbies are cooking and biking. My passions are art and writing.

To discuss the former goes against “branding” yet to discuss the latter is being a braggart.

Separate the two. Choose either art, or writing. Never both. Never on the same page.

Stop the sales pitch.

Promote your worth.

You cannot have it both ways and must choose one over the other.

Therein lies the internal struggle.

Yet where does the showman end and the authenticity begin?

Dual personalities yet both are cut from the same cloth. Different sides of the same coin.

Which do you prefer?

Which are you willing to believe?

I am neither and I am both.

I am more than just a meme shared to generate a laugh.

You see what I allow you to see.

Just as I see what you allow others to see.

Where does fantasy end, and reality begin?

~Sequel


No comments:

Post a Comment