Saturday, June 2, 2018

I am not who you think I am



When we are born, the box we are to fill is already in place
expectations unleashed
stereotypes at the ready.
As we grow older we are taught simple rules:
How to act,
                around others
How to speak,
                when spoken to
How to behave,
                wise and demure
Without opinion outside the norm.
Without objection to the status quo.
We are taught to make lists in order to be productive
That happiness comes in twos
And to be one is to be lonely, and afraid.
That if you do not have a partner, that something is inherently wrong with you
One plus one
The other half
The better half
And to be anything less is to be less yourself.
We are taught that in order to be successful,
We must play the part.
Obtain a role laid out for us by the status quo.
To follow a dream is only for the weekend
After the chores are done,
                the to-do list checked off
To follow a dream is to live in a dream
                Outside of reality
                                Outside of the norm
A freak
A dreamer
A paradox
Invalid.
Success is only measured within the box.

I am not who you want me to be.

I can never be,
                will never be,
Could never live stifled.

I am who I was meant to be.

5.31.2018

No comments:

Post a Comment